Sunday, May 9, 2010

Welcome!

Hi and welcome to my blog! During the next eight weeks, we will be learning about the diverse field of Instructional Design. Following are a list of websites that provide great information about ID:


Instructional Design Blog >> eLearning Learning
http://www.elearninglearning.com/blog/instructional-design/
This website offers a ton of information on Instructional Design, including the latest and the greatest opinions in the field. One thing that drew me to this particular site was that they offer FREE webinars! For example, on this coming Wednesday there is a webinar on How to Create No Lecture Webinars (go figure), and I am always up for free information, so I plan on checking this out.


DESIGN: The eLearning Coach
http://theelearningcoach.com/category/elearning_design/
This blog focuses on online/eLearning. I like it because it provides a non-traditional approach to viewing the field of Intructional Design. The website is visually appealing and is easy to navigate. One post I found very interesting was 10 Rules for Writing Multiple Choice Questions.


Experiencing eLearning
http://christytucker.wordpress.com/
In this blog, Instructional Designer Christy Tucker talks about....Instructional Design! She gives valuable information from conferences that she has attended and she welcomes comments from readers.


*Please don't forget to subscribe to stay informed of new posts!*

1 comment:

  1. http://theelearningcoach.com/elearning_design/storyboards-for-elearning/

    Victoria, the elearning coach is a great site and I’ve subscribed to it. I was particularly interested in the Storyboards for eLearning blog. The blog has great information that I have used. I really identify with some of the comments about how storyboarding is very inefficient. I particularly agreed with Mark who wrote that IDs “insist on spending days to weeks on these storyboards (they spend half the time devising/modifying templates…). Then at the end, after they spend all that time on a ’storyboard’ and actually go to put the course together they realize that they would have been better off skipping the detailed storyboard altogether. It’s just not conducive to creativity/experimentation.”

    In my last job as an ID we used Word storyboards. I used to think that we were way behind the times because we used Word, and I still do, but now I see that many others also use it also. I have found that using Word and PowerPoint might be convenient, but they are very inefficient and waste development time even when they contain macros to speed up the process. Many companies overdevelop and tweak the storyboards to perfection because they are sending them to the client for review. This leaves little to no time for the artists and programmers to develop the actual content and to QA the content. I found that the companies I worked for are great at conducting learning analyses, but don’t bother to analyze their own time management process. There are so many programs already in existence that are more efficient than Word or PowerPoint. I look forward to reading more blogs on this site because there is some great information and dialog.

    Laurie Mills

    ReplyDelete